Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

frostwire with ubuntu 12.10

Installed Frostwire v5.5.1 from a deb file on my Ubuntu 12.10. Everything was all right but after an update Frostwire didn't work anymore.
I tried to install it again afer removing it but unsuccessfully.

Then I ran it by terminal command . I was said that the system tried to run Java but the process was stopped becouse the sytem coudn't find "main "java.

On my system there is : 1. OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime 2. Open JDK Java 7 Runtime 3.Icedtea Java Web Start.

Any help?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Try the solution I found for 12.04. It might help.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17495

This also shown in http://catfangz.com/frostwire/ubuntu.html
  • Yes, FrostWire should be running using OpenJDK 7.
  • The problem was that OpenJDK 7 was installed on the machine but Frostwire could not find / detect it. OpenJDK6. is also present and Frostwire found that and generated the error message.
  • Work fine.... last version: 7 update 40
    http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/dica/Java-7-no-Linux-Mint-14-e-Ubuntu-Instalacao-via-PPA/

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
  • I don't know if this is a private or forum message. It's a bit confusing.

However, here's the problem.

My Frostwire used to work perfectly. Then I changed to an upgraded version.
    I've now returned to an older version but the fault remains.

I do a search and I'm told that Frostwire is 'currently connecting to the network'.....but it never does connect
    and nothing is searched for, nothing appears and so I can't download anything.

This didn't use to happen.
    Have I changed settings somehow?
  • Atif wrote:
    I don't know if this is a private or forum message. It's a bit confusing.

However, here's the problem.

My Frostwire used to work perfectly. Then I changed to an upgraded version.
    I've now returned to an older version but the fault remains.

I do a search and I'm told that Frostwire is 'currently connecting to the network'.....but it never does connect
    and nothing is searched for, nothing appears and so I can't download anything.

This didn't use to happen.
    Have I changed settings somehow?
    In the windows world, to drop back to version 5 from version 6, the version 6 .frostwire5 folder must be deleted.

Here are the windows instructions: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/dropback.html on how to do it.
    The may give you the information you need to get it working again, the key (I think) being removing the .frostwire5 folder.

Good luck
  • sounds like the new FrostWire needs to be added to the firewall exceptions.
  • This simple tutorial will show you how to install the latest FrostWire 5.5.5 or 4.21.8 in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, 12.10 Quantal, 12.04 Precise.

FrostWire is a high quality, FREE peer-to-peer application. It’s core is based on LimeWire but it also supports bittorrent. With FrostWire, you can download your favorite music in a file format named MP3. In addition, FrostWire allows you to download your favorite videos; and the FrostWire program also has a media player to listen.
    To install FrostWire in Ubuntu:

1. Download the Deb package and double-click to install, it’ll add the GETDEB repository.

2. Hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open terminal, copy and paste this command and run to update app repository:

sudo apt-get update

apt-get-date

3. To install the FrostWire 5.5.5:

sudo apt-get install frostwire

install-frostwire-ubuntu

If you hate the latest version, install the 4.21.8 instead:

sudo apt-get install frostwire4

Once installed, search for and launch it from the Unity Dash.

Enjoy!
  • slightly related: we're going to make it so that the next frostwire releases are 32-bit compatible in Linux once again.
  • Our last release FrostWire 6.1.5 for Linux is now 32-bit compatible.

It was released on Sep. 25th 2015, sorry I didn't come back here to let you know earlier, I hope you got the update message.
  • I like the link that Halo shared here and I found useful.

Leave a Comment