Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

How do I know files are completed?

Hi,

I'm sorry for the silly question but this is definitely not intuitive. Torrents are saved to /Users/[User]/FrostWire/Torrent Data. What exactly are the files in that directory? Are they completed or still downloading?

The reason is all those files are in my "Library" but when I try to open them with Preview, some of them play and others don't (they're all audio). Some of them have 1.2mb for a 2h music set, which should be around 200mb, to they're obviously incomplete.

It'd be so much better if there was a folder where all the completed downloads are moved to. In the FAQ, it says:

Q: Can I resume the download of a file?
A: Yes. Click the Resume button while your download is selected. If the incomplete file is still on your computer but does not appear in the list of downloads, go to the Library, click "Incomplete Files" and then resume the download from there.

But there is no "Incomplete" link anywhere to click on the library tab. (Using version 5.5.2).

Thank you.

Comments

• madsylar wrote:
    Hi,

I'm sorry for the silly question but this is definitely not intuitive. Torrents are saved to /Users/[User]/FrostWire/Torrent Data. What exactly are the files in that directory? Are they completed or still downloading?

The reason is all those files are in my "Library" but when I try to open them with Preview, some of them play and others don't (they're all audio). Some of them have 1.2mb for a 2h music set, which should be around 200mb, to they're obviously incomplete.

It'd be so much better if there was a folder where all the completed downloads are moved to. In the FAQ, it says:

Q: Can I resume the download of a file?
    A: Yes. Click the Resume button while your download is selected. If the incomplete file is still on your computer but does not appear in the list of downloads, go to the Library, click "Incomplete Files" and then resume the download from there.

But there is no "Incomplete" link anywhere to click on the library tab. (Using version 5.5.2).

Thank you.
    Let's define some terms.
    Torrent: a description of data to be downloaded that allows connection and verification of received data.
    Magnet: Data that allows a torrent to be discovered, downloaded and acted upon.
    In your transfer window, when a torrent shows progress of 100% it is fully downloaded.
    I don't have an incomplete link, either, but I don't have any incomplete files. I'm not sure if that's why or not.
    The torrent area that you mentioned is a copy of the torrent that you were running. If the data got lost, corrupted, or deleted, you could use that backup torrent to download again. I have used it for that purpose.
    A torrent is NOT the data. You can cancel torrents and they will vanish from the transfer window and the data remains. This isn't a good idea if they are not complete, but after it is 100% and you no longer wish to share it, cancel is the way to go.
    The data is located in the directory indicated by options>bittorent>default save folder.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask and to read my help pages. There is a lot of information there!
  • Thanks for the answer, however this is not what happens. If I type "DJ ABC" to download some sets from him, about 40 sets with 100mb each, the sets don't actually get listed on the "Transfer" window (Search tab). They get grouped into "DJ ABC Sets" row that has 4gb. Then this row gets 60% complete, how on earh would I know which of the 40 files are completed?

Since the data is all pre-allocated, how is one supposed to know if a file has completed if it doesn't get listed in the transfer window individually and it doesn't get moved to a particular folder when completed?
  • madsylar wrote:
    Thanks for the answer, however this is not what happens. If I type "DJ ABC" to download some sets from him, about 40 sets with 100mb each, the sets don't actually get listed on the "Transfer" window (Search tab). They get grouped into "DJ ABC Sets" row that has 4gb. Then this row gets 60% complete, how on earh would I know which of the 40 files are completed?

Since the data is all pre-allocated, how is one supposed to know if a file has completed if it doesn't get listed in the transfer window individually and it doesn't get moved to a particular folder when completed?
    I'm going to guess that you are downloading individual files and multiples at one time. What can happen is that you are actually downloading several files from the same torrent, and part of torrent clean up is to delete anything that is only a partial chunk. The torrents are corrupting each other! If you MUST download from an individual list and do multiples at a time, make SURE they are not from the same torrent. How do you do that? I don't know. I've never figured out a good way, other than to make sure that type torrent is selected for the search.

You can look into complete torrents and select the files that you want. If you are looking for a specific artist, search for a torrent containing that artist's works and then select what you wish to download, if not the entire collection. Check this out: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/SingleFile.html
    And this: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Chunks.html

This is simply the way torrents work. You could suggest, as an enhancement, that FrostWire NOT allow separate downloads from the same torrent. At least then you'd know there was a problem.

Also read: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/How2Search.html

You really do need to read the help pages to get an overview of how torrents work.
    When you search and download torrents properly, they will function exactly as I said.
  • Hi,

I have a similar issue, that without checking in the Frostwire application, I cannot tell from outside which files are complete and which ones are not. How to tell?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • cmsdloma wrote:
    Hi,

I have a similar issue, that without checking in the Frostwire application, I cannot tell from outside which files are complete and which ones are not. How to tell?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I can think of no way do do that.
    Perhaps someone else can help.
  • There is at least one Torrent Client which marks incomplete files in the download folder as "part" and I would welcome this very useful feature in Frostwire. It also lists all individual files in a torrent and marks them in the application itself as complete or incomplete.

Leave a Comment