Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Songs wont transfer or play to iTunes

I have the latest version of Frostwire 5.5.2, latest version of iTunes 11.0.1. When I download songs, they won't transfer to iTunes. They won't even play when I click them in Finder. They briefly pop up in iTunes but don't play at all. The songs aren't transferred to my Frostwire playlist in iTunes either. This started happening about a week ago. I also have the latest version on Java, version 7, update 11. Can anyone help here???

Comments

• miwanicki wrote:
    I have the latest version of Frostwire 5.5.2, latest version of iTunes 11.0.1. When I download songs, they won't transfer to iTunes. They won't even play when I click them in Finder. They briefly pop up in iTunes but don't play at all. The songs aren't transferred to my Frostwire playlist in iTunes either. This started happening about a week ago. I also have the latest version on Java, version 7, update 11. Can anyone help here???
    FrostWire 5.5.2 uses its own java, so installed java no longer matters.
    Go to tools>options>itunes and make sure that importing is checked.
    In tools>options>library try checking the from device item, if it's not checked.

It problems continue, post back.
  • Everything was checked properly in Options. Strange because last week everything was working fine. I also tried deleting Frostwire & reinstalling but no difference. I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on a new Macbook Pro.
  • miwanicki wrote:
    Everything was checked properly in Options. Strange because last week everything was working fine. I also tried deleting Frostwire & reinstalling but no difference. I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on a new Macbook Pro.
    Please indicate your -
    Operating system:
    FrostWire Level Number:
    Virus Checker:
    Fire Wall:
    Are you behind a router:
    Using a proxy or VPN:
    Type of internet connection:
    Make sure, if you have one, that the router is allowing the FrostWire port and/or set for UPnP
  • OS X 10.8.2
    FrostWire 5.5.2, Java 1.6.0_37
    Virus checker: none
    Firewall: none
    Router: Apple Time Capsule
    Not using a proxy or VPN
    Internet connection: Wi-Fi, DHCP
  • Mountain Lion will not allow the opening of 3rd party applications by default.
      To solve the issue, on your mac, go to:
      System Preferences > Security & Privacy
      and tell your Mac to open apps downloaded from everywhere.
    You said it was working, so I'm not sure if this is your problem or not. It not, post back and we'll have to wait for a Mac person to address the problem.
  • Yeah I had the option enabled a while ago. Not sure what the issue is. Thanks anyways though.
  • It sounds to me as if you have unfortunately downloaded a bad torrent -- some mp3s will not play or load in itunes -- also it is possible you have downloaded some wma files -- I did so last week and it took me a little while to realize why they would not play for me. I did convert them to mp3 and all was good.

Is this still an issue ?
  • yeah, its still an issue. :( they're definitely mp3 files.
  • Did you ever get this figured out? I am also having the same issues and no matter what I have tried nothing works. I was hoping if you got yours to work you could tell me what you did.

Thanks!!
  • Okay, so I have this SAME thing going on too.

We have a problem and I REALLY think we need a "Mac person".

I JUST updated iTunes today (which I always HATE doing) and my latest FrostWire download also didn't transfer to iTunes automatically. When I went to Finder, I can see my files all right there...I downloaded one album and every track is there, even in a folder but I just can't drag and drop the files into my iTunes library. When I go to drag them the green "plus" sign is there as if it will allow me to move the file but when I release my mouse to drop them, the file disappears and it's not transferred over. Plus, I can't even play them on iTunes. If I'm in Finder and click "Play in iTunes" it does nothing at all! Just like the OP the files do NOT appear in my "FrostWire" playlist.

So just like the OP, I could do all of this stuff a few days ago, but can't do it today...right after I updated iTunes. And yes, the album was definitely a MP3 file. Just to be sure it wasn't corrupt tho, I did download another with the same result. I can see every file (and now I can see them twice!) in Finder but they are totally inaccessible. I know it's GOT to have something to do with the iTunes upgrade. I have a Mac desktop, I've made no recent changes at ALL, and as far as Security & Preferences go my Mac opens apps downloaded from everywhere and ALWAYS has. I double-checked that I'm still enabled for iTunes importing on FrostWire.

Wondering if the 3 of us that have posted here are the only ones having this issue.

Could iTunes now be blocking FrostWire downloads or any other ideas as to what could be happening???

Thanks for whatever help any of the experts can offer.
  • The fact is that Mac is designed to not play nice with most third party software. If someone can actually figure out how to interface with the system, which is not well documented, you have a winner, but that's not all that common.

I' ve never use iTunes or anything that begins with a lower case letter. I've found them to be not worth the effort, and usually, there is something better that is not nearly as restrictive.

But none of that helps you solve your problem. To solve your problem I'd suggest to stop trying to have it happen automatically. Get your download, terminate frostwire, then import the data with iTunes, just as you would any file you own, from the frostwire download area. If that doesn't work, its an iTunes problem, since frostwire is not even running.

I think there is a Mac version of VLC and it will play almost anything out there... excerpt DRM crap, of course.

Try the manual iTunes import, and if that fails, try VLC.

Good luck!
  • Scott, in all honesty and with all due respect the "VLC"s and the "DRM"s are above my head!

What I did however may have been what you're getting at here in that I first shut down FrostWire fully and completely, located the files on my hard drive, and then attempted to manually drag them over to iTunes all to no avail. You should also know that I couldn't even BURN A CD of my latest downloaded FrostWire files! My computer went through the MOTIONS of "burning" the CD, so I thought I was burning it, it looked like it was burning it with all the step-by-step indications I received, but when all was said and done I ended up with a completely useless CD. The CRAZIEST part was when I attempted to play the CD on my boom box it appeared as if I was playing a completely blank CD. BUT when I reinserted the disk into my computer and attempted to play the CD on iTunes, although it did not play, iTunes actually flashed an arrow in the alphabetical position where the artist's name would go! This definitely wasn't a coincidence...I have several thousand songs in my iTunes library and it's too unlikely that the arrow would just happen to flash in that one particular spot. Crazy, right?

I've read a few threads on the Apple/Mac boards I found by googling plus the few threads that have already been posted on here regarding this issue. In addition to this thread here, of particular note was another unresolved post written by user SaucyJay here on January 7, 2013 entitled "Can't Import any music to my iTunes" which also describes the exact same problem. I'm sure there are more buried here, Scott, but I didn't take the time to dig as I kind of have my suspicions.

At this point, to me at least as I know you don't use iTunes, it's looking like perhaps the latest version of iTunes might have some kind of built-in "blocker" in it? Maybe like files that originally came from FrostWire aren't going to be able to be transferred into iTunes at all any longer? And it looks like Apple has even covered "alternate routes" already, i.e. ...FrostWire---> CD---> iTunes... as well. It's really a shame if that's the case and I SO hope I'm wrong! I wouldn't be surprised as it's definitely lost revenue for them, but as much as it's starting to appear this way, I REALLY hope this isn't what's going on.
  • I know of no way, with FW not runnng, that iTunes would know that a any song was obtained by FW or any other program. What you are telling me makes me think that you have an iTunes problem, and that doesn't surprise me. "i" stuff is not known to be stable. Burning a CD has NOTHING to do with FrostWire. You have an iTunes or Mac problem, it would seem, not a FrostWire problem. You could have a corrupt disk that is mangling your files, or some update to the system or iTunes could be at fault.

It is remotely possible that you have downloaded a bogus torrent and the songs are intentionally bad. That's why I suggest trying the VLC player to try to play them. If two players can't play them, the songs are bad, not your burner or iTunes.

As for VLC, it is a player. It plays video or audio and is totally self contained. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download
    The mac version is not nearly as functional as the win version, but it's worth a shot to see if it can play the files that you're having trouble with.

DRM stands for digital rights management and is what disreputable companies do to music they sell to you to keep you from using property that you have purchased. I avoid and recommend strongly that every one avoid all products that contain DRM. Would you buy a car that you could only drive on certain roads? If not, why would you buy music that you can only play on authorized players? Does NOT compute!

Back to your problem.... I don't think anyone on the FrostWire forum can help you, because it does not appear to be a FrostWire problem. You may want to try a Mac forum, but from what I've read the few times I've had occasion to visit, I wouldn't have high hopes.

I'm not sure if you are having hardware or software issues, but I think it would be wise to back up critical files. If you've been thinking of buying an external drive, now might be the time. They are great back up devices!

Do post your findings, and if you can come up with a clue, PLEASE post it back. Mac support is lean on the forum, as you have noticed. You guys that have Macs need to help each other and share information.

Good luck!
  • edited November 20

Generally speaking, there is no common ways for us to play iTunes songs on non-Apple devices. All iTunes songs are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. Fortunately, we can use DRM Audio converter to help us get rip of DRM protection at faster speed with lossless quality. You can check more info about it on here. Good luck to you.

Leave a Comment