Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Make sure to check out our Community Guidelines
http://www.frostwire.com/guidelines

Please be a good neighbor, treat others with respect and patience.
Make friends!

-FrostWire Team

STICKY: Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Problems Downloading

Before I get into my problem, I'll let you know that I have a MacBook Pro Version 10.8. Today, I decided to upgrade to the newest version of Frostwire, after being asked many times but disregarded it. Once I downloaded the software, I opened the installer and transferred Frostwire to my Applications folder. Then, I tried opening the application because I'm familiar with it, so I know I have to go through the basic installation process again. However, when I tried opening the software an error message came up stating, "Frostwire" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." Towards the bottom of the pop up it read, "Safari downloaded this file today at 12:32PM." I've been trying ever since, but keep getting that message and "Frostwire" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image." Can anyone PLEASE help me?

Comments

  • Have you run all software updates. If not re-run and install, and then re-run if necc. until no updates are available.

    Please go to Applications > Utilities > Java 0r Java Preferences and tell us what you see there.

    Please Open Applications > Utilities > Console. Clear the console. Try to start Frostwire. Enter Frostwire into the Console string Filter and post the resulting log, if any.

    Did a previous version of Frostwire run OK on 10.8?

    I have no idea if OS X 10.8 has been tested by the developers, and the above may help the developers pinpoint the problem.
  • I'm running 10.8 Mountain Lion as well. You need to open System Preferences and go into the Security & Privacy preference pane.

    There's a section that says "Allows applications downloaded from:" and the three options: Mac App Store, Mac App Store & Identified Developers, Anywhere.
    The second one is turned on by default but you need to change it to "Anywhere" and then Frostwire will work just fine.

    It's a new safety feature and (thus far) Frostwire is the only program I have had to change this setting for.
  • Thank you so much for that @ Komentra.

    I have also found that if you open Java Preferences you may get a message saying Java is not installed and it will be necessary to install it, which is self explanatory. That is what I found playing with some Macbooks in the store :)
  • No problem. I actually came here to make the same complaint the original poster did. Then right as I was about to post remembered that new safety feature and it fixed the problem for me. Also, I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion and one of the very first things the operating system asked me to do was install Java and just a few button clicks later it was installed.
  • Oh man, so it looks like they really want to kill Java now on OSX *sigh*

    I'm now downloading OSX so we can replicate this issues and hopefully hack some work arounds so most users don't need to deal with these.

    For now, we'll be monitoring this thread to see what's up.

    Cheers and please keep us informed of whatever issues you might have.
  • Everything downloaded great ran the program and went to search for music and boom nothing came up didnt even search for anything
  • hitandrun wrote:
    Everything downloaded great ran the program and went to search for music and boom nothing came up didnt even search for anything
    It might help if you gave some information such as-
    Operating system:
    Java Version:
    FrostWire Level Number:
    Virus Checker:
    Fire Wall:
    Are you behind a router:
    Using a proxy or VPN:
    Type of internet connection:
    Make sure, if you have one, that the router is allowing the FrostWire port and/or set for UPnP

    On macs, java is a problem. You might want to read through some of the Mac posts and see if you can find something that applies to you.

    The basic check list for FrostWire problems include:
      Latest Version of FrostWire
    http://frostwire.com
    Latest Version of Java http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    Firewall allowing FrostWire
    Router allowing ports and/or set for UPnP
    Make sure that you have all windows updates current.
    DO check java, the fire wall, and any security programs you may have running.
  • HELP ME!

    i downloaded frostwire to my mac mountain lion. it does download and works good.

    the problem is that when i downloaded a dmg. file like black ops, it doesnt open the file. so what is going on?
    i have tried to download different mac games but none of them opens?

    please help me

    and thank you all.
  • kytskä wrote:
    HELP ME!

    i downloaded frostwire to my mac mountain lion. it does download and works good.

    the problem is that when i downloaded a dmg. file like black ops, it doesnt open the file. so what is going on?
    i have tried to download different mac games but none of them opens?

    please help me

    and thank you all.
    I am guessing here, but on windows, security will complain if you fail to allow foreign programs to run. Unless security is set very low, it is a one time effort for each program. Maybe the mac has something like that...
  • Yeah

    it makes the open effect but nothing happens? do i have to do something to security?
  • Mountain Lion will not allow the opening of 3rd party applications by default.
    To solve the issue, on your mac, go to:

    System Preferences > Security & Privacy

    and tell your Mac to open apps downloaded from everywhere, like you’ve been doing for the last… well since Macs were macs.
  • TY, Hobo. I've saved this so I can repeat it if further problems occur in this area.
  • Well sheeeeit.

    I have it allready allowing to open all. so i think the problem might be in frostwire. Should i try to download the file with u torrent?
  • kytskä wrote:
    Well sheeeeit.

    I have it allready allowing to open all. so i think the problem might be in frostwire. Should i try to download the file with u torrent?
    IF if has been downloaded, the problem cannot be frostwire. It did it's job. The problem is either on your computer, or the download may not be legitimate. Try downloading from another source and another torrent, not the same one.

    Torrent programs only download what you tell them to download. They cannot influence how it works once it's on your machine.

    Look for a different size, slightly different name or different hash.
  • yeah!

    i changed the file from dmg to app and the mac said that it is too old to run with mountain lion so problem solved and now downloading a different one. thanks!
  • kytskä wrote:
    yeah!

    i changed the file from dmg to app and the mac said that it is too old to run with mountain lion so problem solved and now downloading a different one. thanks!
    :wink:
  • This is because you have upgraded the Mac book pro. When you upgrade software’s what happens it will not remove the existing applications completely. Some files will still remain in the system and it will conflict when you try re installation of the s/w. So run uninstall utility for that s/w and then try installation.
  • Thanks for the support! Changed the security setting in the systems preference and FrostWire launches without a hitch...
  • Komentra wrote:
    I'm running 10.8 Mountain Lion as well. You need to open System Preferences and go into the Security & Privacy preference pane.

    There's a section that says "Allows applications downloaded from:" and the three options: Mac App Store, Mac App Store & Identified Developers, Anywhere.
    The second one is turned on by default but you need to change it to "Anywhere" and then Frostwire will work just fine.

    It's a new safety feature and (thus far) Frostwire is the only program I have had to change this setting for.

    It still doesn't work. What should I do?
  • Try this new installer (came out today)
    http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/6.3.0 ... -6.3.0.dmg

    (by the way, I don't understand that comment, how do you expect to have any search results if you don't look for anything?)
  • I have also found that if you open Java Preferences you may get a message saying Java is not installed and it will be necessary to install it, which is self explanatory. That is what I found playing with some Macbooks in the store :)
  • you must run all software updates.....That's it

Leave a Comment