Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

edited December 2016 in Open Discussion
There are a lot of torrent programs out there and I've used many of them. So, why am I using FrostWire? It is relatively new and under development. It lacks some of the bells and whistles that I'd like to see, but, very simply, it is my primary torrent program, now.

The program that I used to keep going back to, finally ungraded itself into oblivion. The latest release blows!!!! The forum for that product is hosted and moderated by total autocrats and egomaniacs. Most requests for help get an arrogant RTFM followed by a link that is far less than helpful. In fact, every one of those responses I got, I had read the Rd the Fing M and it had not helped. THAT'S why I was on the freaking board to start with. Don't insult my intelligence with your ignorance is a message their mods did not get!

Have you noticed that when you post and ask a question, here, someone actually tries to help you without trying to make you feel stupid or belittle you? Have you noticed that reported errors get fixed?

The fact that there are indexing sites that offer reviews and user comments about torrents is valuable is suppressing bad data and virus loaded torrents. Sometimes you may want to check some of those reviews before you start a long, complicated download. It can be worth the effort.

To the developers: You don't have the absolutely best product out there – YET! But your sure do have some of the best support going and a very decent product for being so new. It works!!!! It works well enough to have replaced the other ones. Keep up the good work.

Those of you interested in some of the torrent buzz may find these of interest:
http://thepiratebay.org/blog/175 About DHT and PEXs
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrents-fut ... ed-091120/ More about DHT and PEX
http://torrentfreak.com/frostwire-kills ... nt-110627/ Gnutella bye bye
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay- ... es-111130/ Censorship is real

Comments

• I have been planning to switch to using frostWire, but I need some good recommendations before I can start using it.
  • What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.
  • Scott1x wrote:
    What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.

Scott - just to be fair. For those of that teethed on MP3, single file, mentality, torrents are foreign critters. I knew zip zero and nothing about torrents and their inner-workings. I read and reread the how to"s of torrents until my mind was frazzled. The FW folks did their best to drag me along (kudos to Hobo And Gubatron) until one day a light bulb turned on. I gotta admit that I still don't know everything about them (took me about a year) but at least now I know how to speak torrent. That's a long way from spelling MP3. On a brighter side, Frostwire is a heck of a lot easier to spell than Gnutella.
  • Zooky wrote:
    Scott1x wrote:
    What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.

Scott - just to be fair. For those of that teethed on MP3, single file, mentality, torrents are foreign critters. I knew zip zero and nothing about torrents and their inner-workings. I read and reread the how to"s of torrents until my mind was frazzled. The FW folks did their best to drag me along (kudos to Hobo And Gubatron) until one day a light bulb turned on. I gotta admit that I still don't know everything about them (took me about a year) but at least now I know how to speak torrent. That's a long way from spelling MP3. On a brighter side, Frostwire is a heck of a lot easier to spell than Gnutella.
    I hear you, but I was here when gnutella came along, near the time of Napster. For it's time, it's ok, but torrents allow SO much more power in control over what is being downloaded.

How would you like to try to download 7 seasons of a TV show using bearshare or FW4???

Torrents are NOT complicated. The protocol may be a bear (pun intended) but the actual torrent and understanding what it does is not that difficult. Maybe I should try to put together a layman's torrent explanation?
  • I see you did with What Is A Torrent?

Nice work Scott1x thank you :)
  • Scott1x wrote:
    Torrents are NOT complicated. The protocol may be a bear (pun intended) but the actual torrent and understanding what it does is not that difficult. Maybe I should try to put together a layman's torrent explanation?

Oh dear - I fear that my missive may have upset you. Such is not the case, I was trying to show how much I agree with you. It's just that when I first started down the torrent trail there was precious little info on the inner workings (heck - workings period!) of torrents. Your message abut what the heck torrents is was all about was a GREAT help! I most certainly appreciate all of the very helpful work you do around here.
  • Zooky wrote:
    Oh dear - I fear that my missive may have upset you. Such is not the case, I was trying to show how much I agree with you. It's just that when I first started down the torrent trail there was precious little info on the inner workings (heck - workings period!) of torrents. Your message abut what the heck torrents is was all about was a GREAT help! I most certainly appreciate all of the very helpful work you do around here.
    Damn ONLINE! If I sounded upset, I was not! You made good points and made me realize that it is not as simple to many as I see it!! Thank you for that! I did take what you said to heart and tried to help out a little with my article on torrents.

So!!!! I was not, am not, and actually don't intend to be upset! LOL..... I've been using frostwire and think it's a good product. If I can help others realize it's potential, I'm more than willing to do so.

Cheers!
  • Scott1x wrote:
    So!!!! I was not, am not, and actually don't intend to be upset! LOL..... I've been using frostwire and think it's a good product. If I can help others realize it's potential, I'm more than willing to do so.

Cheers!

OK (whew!)
  • So much love :O

Well said @OP Nice to see you're happy with it
  • Is Frostwire much faster thatn Turrent?
  • jansen wrote:
    Is Frostwire much faster thatn Turrent?
    So far, my experience is that it's not the program that is fast. It simply connects you to peers. You speed depends on your line, isp and the peers that you're connected to. Any and all torrent programs do that. Why choose one over the other? Features, service, support, and your own personal preference in interface.
  • Hello,

Frostwire performs a Smart Search upon the most relevant torrent search results that come from BitTorrent search engines, meaning it remembers every file contained by every torrent it scans increasing greatly the chance to find what you are looking for, super fast.
  • Remove the link, you should only download Frostwire via Frostwire.com
  • Link edited. Dirty spammers.
  • The_Fox wrote:
    Link edited. Dirty spammers.
    AMEN TO THAT!!!!
  • How do you get frostwire 4.21 to work now, this new one SUCKs it finds NOTHING unlike 4.21, like the 5.x one is never going back on my PC like EVER.
  • pounder1 wrote:
    How do you get frostwire 4.21 to work now, this new one SUCKs it finds NOTHING unlike 4.21, like the 5.x one is never going back on my PC like EVER.
    Short answer: You don't.
    Good bye.
  • Hi,

I just tried out Frostwire and decided to uninstall it. I just wanted to leave some feedback on why. I should probably add that I'm not whining or complaining about these things and I'm not asking that they be changed; I understand that there are technical and economic reasons why these choices were made, I just thought the feedback might be useful to the devs for information-gathering purposes. The version that I tried was 5.5.3 for Windows.

Basically, two reasons. First, it asked me to install a toolbar and some other software on installation. That feels sleazy and dirty. Not quite a dealbreaker by itself, but it makes me wary and on edge, like being hustled by a pimp as soon as I walk into a club. It makes me feel like I'm in the wrong club.
    Second, the UI feels slow, unresponsive and alien, like a Java app. I understand that that's because it is a Java app, but it's still horrible when an app feels like one.

I hope this is helpful :).
  • Kadmium wrote:
    Hi,

I just tried out Frostwire and decided to uninstall it. I just wanted to leave some feedback on why. I should probably add that I'm not whining or complaining about these things and I'm not asking that they be changed; I understand that there are technical and economic reasons why these choices were made, I just thought the feedback might be useful to the devs for information-gathering purposes. The version that I tried was 5.5.3 for Windows.

Basically, two reasons. First, it asked me to install a toolbar and some other software on installation. That feels sleazy and dirty. Not quite a dealbreaker by itself, but it makes me wary and on edge, like being hustled by a pimp as soon as I walk into a club. It makes me feel like I'm in the wrong club.
    Second, the UI feels slow, unresponsive and alien, like a Java app. I understand that that's because it is a Java app, but it's still horrible when an app feels like one.

I hope this is helpful :).
    I don't have a problem with being ASKED if I want to install a tool bar. Some people like them. I don't. I unchecked it and it didn't install. Those tool bar questions help pay the bills. You don't have to install, but the fact that the question is there does help support development cost. That' bothers you? If more people actually made a donation, it might not be necessary, but we both know the chance of that!

I have worked with more responsive guis, but I find that the search facility is excellent and I do like the ability to quickly refined the search w/o repeating it. That's nice.

I've tried almost every major bittorrent product out there. The ones that seemed to shine brightly usually had a fatal flaw, that was often customer support. When I go to a support forum, I have ALREADY Are Teed the Fing Manual... it was incomprehensible, so I come to a forum for help. I've been in the computer field longer than some of the support people have been alive and telling me to RTFM will get you a response that will quickly generate a reply that will get me banned. AND the product removed from my system.

I find that FrostWire is quite usable with many excellent qualities and - this is important - the support staff is actually supportive.

I'm not crazy about java applications, but they have the advantage of being almost machine independent and that is a big plus. I also value the fact that it's open source. I has been user vetted as being what it appears to be. Once it gets running, a good torrent will max out my line speed and I don't need a responsive gui, then. I just need it to do what a P2P should do. - Download and share.
  • Time to Update your frostwire on your favourite O/S!

• I think you are marketing by providing an information about frostwire
  • I think the Forum is about Frostwire and related issues ... Last time i check ..

Lol
    Cheers Sonic_X
  • I had serious problems after updating FrostWire to one of the Version 6xx and thanks to the help and suggestion by Scott1x , I "reverted" to FW 5.7.7 (build 1) and after around 3 years am still happily using it.
    The only problem is having to reject the offer to update to the latest version 6xx :wink:
    Which may be excellent for all I know, but I will not risk getting the same problems I've had before.
    So thank you Scott1x and thank you to the FrostWire developers team :) <3
    I guess that answers the question to the Thread title right ?
    Martha - a.k.a. betaorionis-at-FW
  • We'll keep Frostwire alive.
    Go to the offical site and try it on your pc, Mac and android device .

Beware of the downloading it from alternate site

Www.frostwire.com

Cheers
    Sonic_X

Leave a Comment