Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Very slow downloads

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
4300 @ 1.80GHz
1.80GHz, 3.25GB of RAM
Running current Version 5 of Frostwire with Java
Internet : Mweb ADSL
Router : Billion w40

First time user,it seems to be downloading...however it looks very slow taking into account my connection type. Down Speed 10-13 KB/s Up Speed 3-6 KB/s. I have also added the Java application that supposedly allows Frostwire to run faster.Might there be some settings that are not correct???

Comments

• It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds, always choose the files near the top for the best speed. 0 seeds means you can't download it at all.
  • It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds

That's not necessarily so. I ran some tests where there were AT LEAST 50 seeds. My network speed is 50M but when I tried d/l'ng those torrents the best I could get is 100KBs. Surely some of those seeders had higher bandwidth available than 100KBs? I know that networking stuff is VERY complex but everything else that I run on net travels with a speed of AT LEAST 35MBs. I'm still scratching my head over why FW seems to be so sluggish in that area.
  • Zooky wrote:
    It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds

That's not necessarily so. I ran some tests where there were AT LEAST 50 seeds.

Hmmm, I did some further testing and have found an interesting variation on a theme. I tried d/l'ng some things that only had a few seeds but rather large (10GB or more) in size. Expecting that, at just a few KBs, it would take FOREVER to d/l them especially since there were only a few seeds. Much to my surprise they had a MUCH larger KB rate then d/l'ng something with just a few MBs. Am I'm I satisfied with the speed? Nope, just noted that there seems to be a correlation to size of Torrent and speed of d/l.
  • The speed at which a download takes place is limited by both the bandwidth of the downloader and by the bandwidth of the uploader. A file cannot by transferred faster than the uploader is capable of sending it, nor can it be transferred faster than the downloader is capable of receiving it. If you have a T1 Internet connection and you are trying to download a file from a person with a 56K modem, your transfer is going to take place rather slowly. Furthermore, some clients limit the speed at which they will upload files for the sake of saving bandwidth

Leave a Comment