Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Make sure to check out our Community Guidelines
http://www.frostwire.com/guidelines

Please be a good neighbor, treat others with respect and patience.
Make friends!

-FrostWire Team

Earlier Frostwire -v- Later Frostwire

Seems there's quite a number of people (myself included :p), who quite clearly prefer Frostwire before it went all torrenty...

I'm sure, in time, I'll get the full measure of the positive benefits of torrents...
For now though - I think I'll stick to good old faithful Version 4...

Am quite interested as to others' views and opinions...
Frostwire 'pre-torrent' or Frostwire 'apres-torrent'...?
Which one floats your boat - and why?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Personally I like and use both.

There is a bit of an art to finding material on Frostwire 4. Today I searched a hugely popular name and got 20 results most from one source, so I browsed the host and found them sharing 10,500. This is something that Gnutella does well, although the lack of initial search results is worrying :)

For Torrents I have yet to find another client that not only downloads well, but has a first class search incorporated, and soon will have a brilliant library, but that is still on the drawing board.
  • There is a bit of an art to finding material on Frostwire 4. Today I searched a hugely popular name and got 20 results most from one source, so I browsed the host and found them sharing 10,500. This is something that Gnutella does well, although the lack of initial search results is worrying :)

You're not wrong - been in similar situations myself...

Really quite infuriating at times though just how many results turn out to be a complete load of crap...
    Like a tune where the bitrate's been changed a zillion times since its original upload - which results in it sounding like it's been recorded underwater, with a cloth covering the microphone...

You rate torrents then?
  • I like to get files from browse host in gnutella. If a couple are ok you can bet the rest will be.

Torrents hmm they are pretty reliable, but I have found some that are perhaps large albums cobbled together from an assortment of files of varying quality, which can be annoying. But .. I have found perfect Torrents and perfect Gnutella shares. Both are p2p and there are good and bad sharers on each. A couple of things that I like about torrents: It is not so easy to rename or debitrate, or otherwise alter a Torrent file you have downloaded and are continuing to seed, actually It is impossible afaik, so the original continues to circulate. Also there are more flac files shared as torrents ... maybe many of the low bitrate files on Gnutella started life as Flac torrents .. also seeds for identical torrents tend to be higher in number and so you are more likely to find the same file tomorrow that you can find to day.

I was never a big fan of torrents until I started using Frostwire 5. It does make them far more accessible I feel.
  • I prefer the 4,21 series because I like to download from both the Gnutella network and torrents in one program so much so, that I've found another client that does just that. I think that it will prove to be a mistake for frostwire to have dropped the Gnutella network as that was a big selling point for people choosing to use frostwire, it was the ability to search and download from a p2p network and torrents as well. Plus I have many files which I have downloaded over the years which in the new frostwire (5 series) I would no longer be able to share, which quite simply doesn't serve my purpose as a file sharer.
  • Torrents hmm they are pretty reliable, but I have found some that are perhaps large albums cobbled together from an assortment of files of varying quality, which can be annoying.
    Here is a tip for you that you might find helpful.

I tend to try to download only songs with a bit rate of 320 kbps due to the lossy nature of .mp3 files and to attempt to get as close to the original quality as possible — I can shrink the files later if I need to after archiving them. I do not download lossless FLAC files because iTunes is not compatible with them.

Anyway, I have learned to pay attention to the size of the file. Usually, if the file is in the range of 7-12 megabytes per song or so, it is a good bet that it is a quality 320 kbps file. What I do is open each torrent that may have the songs I want to download and look at the megabyte size for the songs I want. I then download the songs from the torrent that are the largest in terms of megabytes.

To make this process even easier, I do a sub-search of the torrents already present in my list by entering “320”, which substantially decreases the amount of eligible torrents for high-quality songs.

While I do not have it down to a perfect science, I have been much quicker in finding higher-quality files, even if the title of the torrent does not contain the term “320” in it, and even if the torrent contains large albums cobbled together from an assortment of files of varying quality.

I hope this helps...
  • Thanks Hobo, popsrobs and Canarsie :)
    I've always been really rather apprehensive when it comes to torrents...
    No particular reason why - they've just always seemed so complicated to get to grips with...

You've all helped though...
    Your posts not only provide a lot of very useful information - but they also make torrents seem a lot less daunting :p

I now have the knowledge/confidence to go off and give 'em a try...

8) :D
  • Well - I've been checking out the torrent thing all weekend...
    Religiously, in detail...

My conclusion...?
    Not favouring torrents, personally...
    Much prefer Frostwire pre-torrent...
    So much easier - a lot less faffing about...
    (Imho :p)

Gonna stick with the one that's always seen me right...
    Go 4.21.3 :P
  • I also prefered the earlier version. I find that instead of downloading a song, it has downloaded an entire album that I did not want. I would love to re-install an earlier version but can not locate one to download.
  • @dizabeth

Installing Frostire 5 should not normally have uninstalled Frostwire 4 so do check before trying to re-install it.

Frostwire 4.21.8 is available HERE

You may need Replacement of the gnutella.net file to connect.

Also THIS POST will be very useful.

As for the problem you say you have using Frostwire 5 for single files, the following explains how it is now possible to download single files with ease using Frostwire 5.1.4.

@TheNightOwl

I do understand where you are coming from. I do find that using both gets me the best of both words. I would suggest that one day when you find you can not find something that you want, that you make a couple of searches using 5.1.4 .. It has found me a few things that I have searched for for years on Gnutella without success, and at the end of the day results are what matters. I will add that the opposite, I have often found, to be equally true :)

• @TheNightOwl

I do understand where you are coming from. I do find that using both gets me the best of both words. I would suggest that one day when you find you can not find something that you want, that you make a couple of searches using 5.1.4 .. It has found me a few things that I have searched for for years on Gnutella without success, and at the end of the day results are what matters. I will add that the opposite, I have often found, to be equally true :)

Thanks Hobo...
    Results are what matters, indeedy...
    Will give that a bash...

One thing I have noticed, in particular...
    Been getting significantly more activity in my upload window these last few weeks...
    For the longest time, I was getting a big fat zero where that was concerned...
    Might have got the occasional person here and there - but nowhere near the amount there used to be ...

Me thinks more and more people are reverting back to earlier versions...
    Which, tbh - I can't blame them for :P

Leave a Comment