Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Make sure to check out our Community Guidelines
http://www.frostwire.com/guidelines

Please be a good neighbor, treat others with respect and patience.
Make friends!

-FrostWire Team

If It Ain't Broke Why Fix It?

I recently upgraded to version 5 and after fussing and cussing a while about it, I actually started liking it. There was a little more work involved getting it to do what I wanted that was automatically getting done with the previous version. But the search results were much cleaner, I was really starting to like it until today. I got home and fired up my Linux machine and was notified that there was an improvement to the search feature with Java or something to that effect. I went ahead and downloaded it and went to try it out. It seems much more cumbersome now, Java is burning up my CPU and it's very slow downloading torrents now. The only difference that I can tell is that while it's searching, you can see a little circle inside the tab to let you know it's working that I didn't notice before. Does anyone know what gives?

Comments

• I understand exactly what you are saying, The simple thing to do is use the type filter to just show torrents. There has been a lot of pressure from users to make the experience more like the old Frostwire as far as showing individual files is concerned, and personally I, like you would rather not have that feature, but I do very occasionally use it .. the rest of the time I keep it hidden.

I hope that explains it, and I am glad you like the new Frostwire.. (mostly :) ) .. One thing I do not know is whether the indexing of the individual files (Smart Search) is actually using more resources, or simply the display which is needing to do more work. I am wondering if it might be possible to turn off the indexing procedure. The results can be reset in Tools Options > Searching, and this is an explanation of the new search in case you have not seen it. http://frostwire.wordpress.com/2011/08/ ... nt-search/
  • I understand exactly what you are saying, The simple thing to do is use the type filter to just show torrents. There has been a lot of pressure from users to make the experience more like the old Frostwire as far as showing individual files is concerned, and personally I, like you would rather not have that feature, but I do very occasionally use it .. the rest of the time I keep it hidden.

I hope that explains it, and I am glad you like the new Frostwire.. (mostly :) ) .. One thing I do not know is whether the indexing of the individual files (Smart Search) is actually using more resources, or simply the display which is needing to do more work. I am wondering if it might be possible to turn off the indexing procedure. The results can be reset in Tools Options > Searching, and this is an explanation of the new search in case you have not seen it. http://frostwire.wordpress.com/2011/08/ ... nt-search/
    I can do a search now for a certain artist say, it'll show entire albums from said artist, I really like that. But whatever the improvement it prompted me to download today slowed it way down and Java is working really hard and burning up my CPU. The only difference I can tell now is that when I do a search, it opens a tab up like before and now there's a rotating circle within the tab while it's searching that wasn't there before.
  • Hopefully it will soon be able to turn off the smart search, which the developers have realised may cause CPU problems for some users. I do know of someone who turns off the icon column which I gather does improve performance for some. That may help for now.

Have you noticed the problem only on Linux?

If you need to get an earlier version please confirm which OS it is for.
  • edited September 2011
    Hopefully it will soon be able to turn off the smart search, which the developers have realised may cause CPU problems for some users. I do know of someone who turns off the icon column which I gather does improve performance for some. That may help for now.

Have you noticed the problem only on Linux?

If you need to get an earlier version please confirm which OS it is for.
    I haven't tried it on my XP machine, it stays bogged down with just the OS and all the anti-virus/spyware crap running on it. I took screenshots of my terminal from my Ubuntu/Linux machine with just firefox running and then again with frostwire running. Look at the difference of the CPU usage with Java and Xorg. I still have version 5.0.8 on my XP machine, that one seems to work great.
  • Higher cpu usage can be expected during heavy leeching / seeding operation, would suggest limiting the number of files active, on fedora, my cpu usage fluctuates between 15-35% using java 1.6.0_20, with 5-10 files active - while running firefox as well, which is just a browser (no disrespect to mozilla intended).
  • THX1138 wrote:
    Higher cpu usage can be expected during heavy leeching / seeding operation, would suggest limiting the number of files active, on fedora, my cpu usage fluctuates between 15-35% using java 1.6.0_20, with 5-10 files active - while running firefox as well, which is just a browser (no disrespect to mozilla intended).
    That screenshot I posted with frostwire running was actually mild, I was doing a search with only one tab yesterday and it had my CPU temp. over 50 degrees Celsius. I don't remember it doing that when the first 5 version came out for some reason, but maybe it was and I just wasn't paying attention. It's not very likely though, I keep a very close eye on my CPU temp., if it's over 45 degrees, I want to find out why.
  • Hobo, can you please get me the link to download the earlier 5 version? I am continuously having problems out of the one I have now, thanks.
  • 5.1.3 is available HERE

5.0.8 from HERE

Please let us know how you get on.

BTW your earlier screenshot link no longer works.
  • 5.1.3 is available HERE

5.0.8 from HERE

Please let us know how you get on.

BTW your earlier screenshot link no longer works.
    I have probably deleted them from my photobucket account is why. Frostwire totally froze up on me last night and wouldn't do anything. I tried the 5.0.8 link, it's for Windows, I need the one for Ubuntu/Linux, thanks

Leave a Comment